February REading Ladder:

Amount of Daily Pages: 35 pgs

City of Bones – Cassandra Clare

Rate: ♥♥♥ 3/5 (235/528 pgs read)

Before I read this book, I had to off with a warning that there would be some explicit scenes that might throw me off bit. But, being the daredevil I was I decided to read it. As interesting as the book seemed, it did run off sort of slow in the middle that might have thrown my interest out the window. The reason why I rated it a 3/5 was because that would be my standard of an “okay-ish” book. If you ever do find yourself with this book just remember the warning and be prepared.

Thousand Splendid Suns – Khaled Hosseini

Rate: ♥♥♥♥♥ 5/5 (275 pgs)

Man, this book is probably on my top list of favorite books of the year. This book tugs onto your emotions like crazy and being the person who connects through more emotion and heart warming stories, this book really turned my perspective of whether there even is a “happily ever after”. If your trying to find a novel that is putting you at an emotional grasp but as well as good with imagery and detail, I highly recommend this book to you.

march REading Ladder:

Amount of Daily Pages: 40-45 pgs

Kite Runner – Khaled Hosseini

Rate: ♥♥♥♥♥ 5/5 (372 pgs)

Its been twice that I have read this book and the tears just keep coming back. I had an early start from last year to have the chance to read this book and boy was it good. I feel this book pulls on your heart strings and reminds the reader of the morals behind each character. If you ever find yourself wanting to read this book, get ready to experience an emotional roller coaster.

Four Past Midnight – Stephen King

Rate: ♥♥♥♥ 4/5 (652/763 pgs)

I wanted to drive my interests somewhere else, especially when it came to horror. I love watching horror movies so I was curious on how exciting horror would be shown through a book. Stephen King really knows how to show the true elements of horror and surrounded with a heavy atmosphere. I feel Stephen King really finds joy into confusing his readers when it comes to the plot and the main context of the story. I understand that it is pretty tricky to follow through, but if you have general understanding of what is going on through each story, you will find yourself enjoying this book.

April REading Ladder:

Amount of Paged read: 40-45 pgs 

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society – Mary Ann Shaffer 

Rate: ♥♥♥ 3/5 ( 306 pgs)

This book is set more historically and captures the essence of the 1940’s. I don’t consider myself a big fan towards history but I thought to myself why not give it a go. This book focuses with letters as a way of getting the plot, detail, and characters. At first, I found the book rather boring as it became very slow to get into but once it got to the end I found myself questioning more and more as to what was happening. I would reccommend this book to people who are more into reading historical genres or are captivated by the specific time setting of the 1900’s.

Paperboy – Vince Vawter

Rate: ♥♥♥♥ 4/5 (211 pgs)

I found myself to enjoy this book much more than the first one. The fact that the main character is shown struggling as a child with his speech impediment but finds the inner strength to overcome that as an adult, places the book into a better setting and plot line. Even though this book is set in the 1950’s, it still places a more vivid picture and imagery that allows the reader to feel captivated towards the book.

May/June READING LADDER:

Amount of Daily Pages: 40-45 pgs

Some Sing, Some Cry – Ntozake Shange

Rate: ♥♥♥♥♥ 5/5 (589 pgs)

Hamlet – William Shakespeare

Rate: ♥♥♥ 3/5 (500 pgs)

Tale of Despereaux – Kate DiCamillo

Rate: ♥♥♥♥♥ 5/5 (276 pgs)

It was a very tough month for me because I was having to cramp a lot of my study time and reading time together. The first book was a book I could absolutely not put down. At first, I had to get used to the context and wording as I read along but it finally did get better for me during the middle to the end. It is a very emotional and touching book that covers the lives of African American women in the past. I highly encourage to read this book because it can open someones eyes towards stereotypes over African Americans and Black history. Hamlet was a play I wanted to invest my time over since in English we had studied over Macbeth. In all honesty, there might be some lesson that Shakespeare wants to convey towards his audience however I didn’t feel this play settled with me because, well let’s just say I have some strong disagreeing opinions over this. The last book, Tale of Despereaux was a book I read out of my own joy. It was a childhood book I held onto and somehow made want to read into it again. I hope over the summer I can read more books without any worries at all.